Reggie Nelson grew up on an East London council estate to alcoholic parents. With drugs and violence all around him, he underperformed academically, and felt the only career options available to him were “music, football or crime”.
Quintin Price grew up in India, with a cook, butler, and driver. His father was an international banker; his mother a committed philanthropist. After boarding school and University, he went into banking himself, and became an executive at BlackRock.
Then, one afternoon in 2014, their lives crossed paths. In this eye-opening interview, they tell Olly what happened next.
Reggie’s book, Opening Doors, is out now, and is also available as an audiobook.
Meanwhile, in the Zeitgeist, Ollie Peart investigates self-publishing sensation Substack. Can he master the platform and become a blogging billionaire?
With the help of music recommendation newsletter Flowstate.fm, he attempts to decode the ingredients to create the perfect Substack crowd-pleaser. But are his views ‘controversial’ enough?
The Zeitgeist is sponsored by Manscaped, creators of the anti-chafing, silky-soft Boxer 2.0, engineered to be the most comfortable boxers in your underwear drawer. Get 20% Off + Free Shipping, with the code ‘Mann’ at Manscaped.com
Elsewhere, in the Foxhole, Alix Fox has been unpicking the complex intersection of faith and sexuality with muslim comedian Sadia Azmat, whose memoir, Sex Bomb, is out now.
Then, she answers our listener question of the month, courtesy of Mann-fan Craig in Baltimore, who is TTC* with his wife, and wants to know whether the underwear he is wearing could be affecting his fertility.
(*’Trying To Conceive’. You can have that acronym on us.)
With the help of Joshua Shoemake, founder of cooling underwear company Snowballs, Alix discovers how scrotal temperatures can make all the difference to procreation - and comes up with a novel suggestion to make the whole process a little more… romantic.
The Foxhole is sponsored by Handy - the willy-thrilling sex toy that can be controlled by your lover from anywhere on the planet. For free express shipping, use our code ‘Foxhole' at TheHandy.com.
Finally, our record of the month is the anthemic ‘I’m Insecure’, from Lauran Hibberd’s debut album ‘Garageband Superstar’. Enjoy!
This episode is sponsored by:
• Wine52, the wine discovery club. For a FREE case of their delicious wine visit wine52.com/mann and just pay for the postage.
• ExpressVPN, Business Insider’s #1 rated VPN. Head to ExpressVPN.com/Mann to get an extra 3 months FREE on a one-year package.
• Tiege Hanley, who offer simple, effective skincare for men. Get 30% off your first box, plus a free gift, at tiege.com/MANN
• Athletic Greens, the ultimate daily nutritional supplement. To get a FREE one-year supply of immune-supporting Vitamin D, and 5 free travel packs with your first purchase, visit athleticgreens.com/mann.
• LISTENERS LIKE YOU. If you can afford to buy us a beer each month to say thank you for making you a free 1hr+ magazine show each month - please do. We rely on your support.
… And we’ll see you on July 10th!
Presenter: Olly Mann. Producer: Matt Hill. Contributors: Ollie Peart, Alix Fox, Reggie Nelson, Quintin Price, Tim Warwood, Lauran Hibberd. Theme Music: Django Django. Graphic Design: Terry Saunders. Copyright: Rethink Audio / Olly Mann 2022.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices